Sofigado from Cephalonia
- 2 lbs of beef chuck cut into portion size pieces.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- whole cloves as many as the pieces of meat
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 cups of hot water
- 1 lb russet of yukon gold potatoes
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Using a pairing knife, poke each piece of the beef and insert a garlic sliver rolled in cinnamon.
- Then, insert a clove to seal the opening.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil and brown the meat.
- Add the tomato paste, a pinch of sugar (if needed to reduce the tartness of the tomatoes) and the hot water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot and let the meat cook about three quarters.
- Sprinkle the potato wedges with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper and add them to the meat.