Grilled Octopus Salad
- 1 octopus about 2-2.5 lbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 plus 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 medium onion cut into very thin slices (paper thin)
- 1/2 diced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Fresh ground pepper
- Wash the octopus in cold water.
- With a small knife, remove the most from the center, where the tentacles begin.
- Remove the head and the bag of the body.
- Separate the tentacles.
- Place the tentacles in a pot and add 2-3 tbsp of cold water.
- Add the one tbsp of red wine vinegar and the bay leaves
- Bring to boil, lower the heat and cook at medium for about 40-45 minutes, until the octopus is fork tender.
- While the octopus is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat the grill to medium high (or use a stovetop grill pan)
- Remove the octopus from the pot and discard the bay leaves and the liquid.
- Spray the gill or grill pan with olive oil and grill the octopus for about 10-15 minutes, turning it halfway.
- Remove the octopus from the grill and slice it to 1/2 inch thick.
- In a bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients and add the sliced octopus.
- Mix and serve.