Green beans amandine is a classic, healthy and refreshing side dish with earthy flavors. The simple preparation makes it a versatile side to accompany any meal, from a Sunday dinner to an elaborate holiday menu.
The almonds add some crunchiness and earthy flavor which play nicely with the fresh flavors of the beans and the parsley.
It is a great side dish for any roasted meat or poultry dish.
Green Beans Amandine
- 2 lb Green Beans (or haricots verts) trimmed
- 3 Shallots halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 1/2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fill a large pot with about 5 quarts of water and bring to boil.
- Add the green beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and spread the beans to dry.
- In a large frying pan of sauté skillet, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the shallots and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the beans and continue sautéing until heated through.
- Season with salt and peppers and stir in the almonds.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve.
Make Ahead: The beans can be boiled up to 1 day in advance. Cover in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.