This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is a rich, velvety, decadent dessert that is much healthier and lighter than the traditional chocolate mousse. As of the use of avocado, it is not affecting the taste of the mousse.
I love everything chocolate! And if you are like me, this will become one of your favorite desserts!
Traditionally, chocolate mousse is made with heavy cream and eggs, to get a fluffy, yet rich velvet texture. In this version, creamy, rich, buttery texture and mild taste of the avocados make this mousse so smooth, thick, velvety, and decadent!
Also, the use of avocados makes a much healthier version of the dessert as they are cholesterol free and they provide a good amount of fiber, vitamins and other nutrients. The raw honey and unprocessed cocoa add even more good for you nutrients and antioxidants.
Depending on the size and type of the avocados you are using, you may have to adjust the amount of the non-dairy milk and honey.
When prepared, the mousse looks and tastes more like homemade pudding. However, once chilled for a couple of hours, it gets its thick and rich texture.
There are so many ways to garnish the mousse; fruit, nuts, chocolate shavings, cocoa nibbles, shredded coconut, whipped cream (dairy or non-dairy) to name a few. Here I used coconut whipped cream, strawberries and shaved chocolate (72%).
It is so easy and quick to prepare when we are craving something chocolate! And the best part is that this dessert tastes so rich and sinful that you completely forget that you are actually eating something so healthy!
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 Avocados
- 1/3 cup Cocoa powder unsweetened, non-alkalized
- 1/4 cup Almond milk or Coconut milk beverage
- 3 tbsp Raw honey
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 - 8 tbsp Coconut whipped cream optional, for garnish
- 1 1/2 tbsp Shaved dark chocolate (72%) optional, for garnish
- Strawberries or other berries optional, for garnish
- Halve and pit the avocados. Then, scoop out the flesh, into the bowl of a high-speed blender or a food processor.
- Add the next four ingredients.
- Pulse several times, until the ingredients have well blended and formed a very smooth, creamy mixture.
- Serve in individual bowls and if desired, top with the whipped cream and the chocolate shavings.
This post contains some affiliate links. For more information, see my full disclosure here.