Braised Okra (Bamia)
- 2 lbs baby okra frozen or fresh
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can diced tomato
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Rinse the okra and sprinkle with the vinegar.
- In a wide sauce pan heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the okra and sauté for 2 more minutes
- Add the diced tomatoes, the parsley, the water, salt and pepper
- stir to distribute the ingredients evenly
- cook in medium heat for about 30 more minutes until the okra is tender, stirring sparingly. If you need to stir, do it as if you are folding meringue into cake batter.
- Wen it is ready, remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serves 4 as main dish, 8 as side dish. The nutritional information below is calculated for this recipe as a main dish.
Courses Main Dish, Side Dish
Recipe by Primal Mediterranean Gourmet at https://primalmediterraneangourmet.com/braised-okra-bamia/